Built in 1904, the First United Methodist Church was a historical landmark in the downtown community of Texarkana. Nearing its 100 year anniversary, and undergoing repairs to the roof, the entire sanctuary was tragically destroyed by fire. The WER Architects team was tasked with rebuilding the Charles Thompson designed church as a near exact replica of the original historic building, including curved pews with carved ends, interior wood ceiling and details and the classic stained glass windows. The building committee and congregation also requested that improvements be made for a new larger pipe organ, additional seating capacity for 100 people be added, be handicap accessible on all levels and have the building fireproofed and fully sprinkled. With the help of many photos from the congregation, and the original plans from the state historical archives, the original stained glass windows, brick masonry, cast stone details, arched windows and covered porches were recreated as faithful representation to the original construction.