The two-story brick courthouse served Hempstead County from 1874 until the 1930’s. It was used as a school and then as a Visitors’ Center until WER Architects began the historic restoration. Key exterior elements of the project are the reconstruction of the cupola, major reworking of the existing roof, exterior masonry repair and reconstruction of the porches. On the interior, the courtroom was restored, including the jury seating, judge’s bench, spectator risers and seating, and installation of a 12-light electrified replica of an oil burning chandelier. This project was awarded an AIA Design Award.